Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kid Blog

OK, so tonight after hanging curtains in my living room I decided to do a little school work.  So for tonight I decided to make my way onto the Kid Blog website!!  I have heard so much about this website and had to see what it was all about.  So after some perusing of the website, I must admit I am still scared of the whole idea of allowing my third graders to have a blog.  You can call me old fashion, but the thought of being in control of monitoring what students or others will post on their blogs scared me so much.  Also, it scares me to have to be in charge of what my students are posting too.

So since I was feeling that way, I figured my next step to better understand this great technology tool was to go onto You Tube and see if I could find a video to better explain this great site!!!

Although this is a little dated, it ended up making me feel a little more comfortable about the idea of using Kid Blog within my own classroom!!  :)

What are your thoughts?????

4 comments:

  1. You might want to wait and see how your peers do with KidBlog and continue to read the KidBlogs for which you can find links in the class session notes. At least three students in the Manchester started KidBlog with their students two weeks ago, and the students love it. But you need to be comfortable with the idea first. You might start with a Blog you create on Blogger for your students to write comments to you. If so, be sure you turn on Comment Moderation in Blogger. Although you will be doing most of the writing, you will see your students writing when they write replies. It is a good way to get started if you don't want to monitor your students using KidBog. As Richardson notes, first teachers should get the hang of blogging themselves before implementing it with students.

    If you want to link up with Elena in the Manchester cohort, you can find her blog through the link in the Integrating Technology and Literacy blog. Look for the tab at the top of the page: spring 2013 blogs. Elena is a 3rd grade teacher, too. If you scroll through her blog, you will see she has probably two posts about using KidBlog. You can leave her a comment, and also leave her a link to this blog post to see what she might write to you for advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I will definitely have to check her blog out and get in contact with her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also interested in starting a blog with my students, but I am feeling overwhelmed by the thought of it! I think it might be best to get really comfortable with navigating a blog first by using it to just give information updates. Then slowly add some posts that students could respond to. I think I am going to wait awhile before I allow my students to have their own blogs! I need to work on my management of it first. Good luck with your class blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you checked out Quadblogging? This could be a good starting point. You would sign up your own class and the site connects your class with three other similar classes. Each week one of the classes is the "spotlight" blog and the other 3 classes visit and leave comments. I have never used it so I do not have much more information but it may be worth looking into!

    ReplyDelete