Wednesday, January 16, 2013

NETS


New literacies to me are the future!  Technology is coming into full force; it is changing the way the world communicates, learns, and gathers information.

While reading through the NETS for students, I could not help but think that there are so many standards here that we don’t even touch upon.  I truly try to bring technology to my students; however, in my district we don’t have the most up-to-date technology for these students.  One section that I really thought was great was the Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making standards.  I think something our future generations are going to have to do every day is within this standard!  So we as teachers need to start molding it now!  Future generations are going to be around technology at all times, so how will that play into critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making?  I see some of it happen already, but I am sure it will play in more and more as the years go on. 

            When looking at the NETS for teachers,  I felt as though the main idea is to create a learning environment that is rich in the digital world.  Which I believe is a great thing, but at the same time, I feel sometimes too much of the digital world is not a great thing either.  When looking through the standards, I loved the one of Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity.  This is how I think every teacher feels; I know we are heading towards a completely different world with technology surrounding us.

I guess my biggest question is: How are we in the education world going to help with this?  I am only in my 4th year of teaching and I am going to get to see this all unwind, which is something I am excited to see happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment